Well-known through the Roman Empire, travertine tiles are Slice from quarried stone blocks with massive diamond-blade saws. Travertine is actually a sedimentary rock that is a snap to work with. It truly is a lightweight rock that doesn’t require a wide range of assistance, rendering it a outstanding option for walls and showers. This stone is strong, so it is not difficult to put in to the partitions and flooring of your respective shower. You have got to manage your tile on a regular basis by using a water and oil repellent sealer so it retains its shade and luster.
one. Remove any tile and grout to the partitions and shower flooring using a chisel. The realm ought to be clean up.
two. Have a plumber put in the entire piping and shower floor cleaner drain, such as the lessen flange, If your shower is not by now there.
three. Make certain your shower pan is solid and durable. If you’re setting up a completely new shower pan, Verify the plywood subfloor to make sure it can be sturdy.
four. Produce a slope using latex-modified mortar or concrete. Slope your flooring 1/4 inch for every foot of shower Room. Slope it toward the drain. Use a trowel to setup and slope the mortar. Let the mortar dry totally. This layer might be one/four to one inch deep, according to the dimension of the shower.
5. Slash a bit of roofing asphalt paper and location it above the concrete bed.
6. Minimize a hole inside the versatile water-proof membrane in the region the place the drain is situated. Reduce the opening massive enough so that it will not interfere Along with the draining in the shower, although not far too huge Therefore the subfloor demonstrates by means of. Secure the liner to your drain using adhesive silicone caulk on either side in the liner. Distribute the liner out so it runs six inches up Each individual wall and about the entrance of the edge. Nail the liner about one/2 inch through the top rated for the studs. Nail inside the perimeter with the liner, and fold the corners over so they do not buckle. Go away more than enough liner so that it fits correctly into your corners from the shower pan.
7. Set up the best from the drain.
eight. Set up cement backing boards to the wall all of the way all the way down to the shower pan. Go away a gap of one to two inches earlier mentioned The underside from the shower pan. Use the appropriate masonry screws plus a drill to setup the board. Butt the sides up against each other.
nine. Remove all Dust and dirt with the shower walls and flooring. Start with a clean up surface Therefore the tiles stick thoroughly. Also, ensure your tiles are clean up.
10. Blend your thinset As outlined by package Guidelines. Use thinset on all corners within the cement board. Insert a 2nd two-to-3-inch layer of concrete. Insert pea-dimensions gravel round the drain, And so the concrete won’t clog the drain. Insert a sheet of chicken wire, 50 percent after you have poured 1 to one 1/2 inches of concrete and afterwards cover with One more one to 1 1/2 inch of concrete. Now you’ve got a steady base. Insert a piece of 2-by-4 board to produce a type on the threshold. Wrap the chicken wire around the edge and pour the concrete.
eleven. Evaluate the wall, making it possible for for any flooring tile, 1 set of wall tiles as well as spacers between. Use your tile and spacers to determine the precise measurement. Produce a line within the shower at this level, and ensure the line is stage.
12. Set up the wall tiles, starting up with the 2nd row. Implement the thinset mortar employing a notched trowel, and established the tiles in position, squishing them on to the wall so These are safe in the thinset. Insert spacers between Every tile. Work your way from the 2nd row nearly the top from the shower. Use nippers or perhaps a tile observed to chop the tiles round the plumbing.